In Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, fate points separate your character from all the other people inhabiting the game world. When something tragic happens to the character, you can spend a point, indicating that your character had dodged fate and lived to face another day. With this in mind, I think fate points should be something special and epic that happens, not just a generic "the attack misses you; your turn." In the past, we've had experiences where a character uses a fate point so that the blow that kills them never lands, just to have the GM kill them on the next attack. I feel that cheats the idea. When a player uses a fate point, I like to have something occur that changes the whole tide of the battle. Losing characters suddenly find themselves winning the fight due to a very improbable occurrence. Characters crushed by a rock slide instead find that rocks fell everywhere around them, miraculously sparing them. It might take a moment to stop and think, but the mo...
My thief Kryphon was the twin brother of a character who decided to be a paladin. Kryphon was increasingly evil as the campaign went on, but he intentionally kept himself in check around his brother...when he was around. In the end, it was wise that the GM chose Kryphon to be taken out and replaced by a doppelganger in the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar.
ReplyDeleteHa! I'm wise to your game gov. You're not going to get me to incriminate myself, no sir.
ReplyDeleteHeh.
ReplyDeleteAnd what, exactly is your thief's address, again David?
(If you are wise to my game, then you realize I'm trying to glean some cool NPC info/ideas by getting people to tell me about their character. ;) )
Thief? Dear sir, what an awful word. My name is Narillo Scarlazzi and I am an honorable locksmith.
ReplyDeleteWell my latest heist, with some help, was to relief a certain jeweler of some hot gems. The rumor goes that he is one of the fences of the Velvet Paws. I also heard some nights ago, that during the wedding of one of the richest families around here the brides diadem, called the Cartier-Diadem, got stolen before the ceremony. What a brazeness!
Excuse me now, please. I have to meet one of my own fences, err... partners, for a most important transaction.
Pleased to meet you, locksmith.
ReplyDelete