[WFRP 2e] Morrslieb's Shadow 23

My PC
Maximillian Morningglory, Halfling Agitator

My companions
Udrin Sor-Valdir - High Elf Wizard
Ludovic Hasselhoff - Human Entertainer

Absent Players/NPCs
Gustav Jaeger - Human Priest of Verena
Ehrwig Hofstetter - Imperial Knight of Sigmar
Farnoth - High Elf NPC

From Maximillian's journal:

(Previous update)

The Verenean priestesses are teaching me how to read and write! Let me tell of the amazing turn my life has taken in the past few days. 

The group I had started guiding turned out to be a party of chaos hunters. They had a map and an amulet that overlaid it, showing the locations of pockets of evil. They spoke of these secret plans very openly to me, and I determined to join them in their quest.

The elf, Udrin, seemed to be the spiritual adviser of the group, while the knight seemed to be the voice...which is too bad, because he was quite overbearing. It seemed to me that Ludovic would have made a better speaker for the group, but when you are new, you keep these opinions to yourself. Gustav was the chronicler, and Farnoth was some kind of hanger-on to Udrin. It was difficult to tell their official relationship, as they often spoke their mellifluous elven language. 

We were on the road early after our night in the Tilean tack-house. My companions were early risers, and didn't wish to be a further burden on the charity of the Friendship House. I guided them to the town of Stimmigan

We were welcomed into the temple of Verena, thanks to our human priest. They treated us with every courtesy due a group of heroes (which I'm not sure they were). The priestesses were very eager to take down our stories "for posterity," though I have no idea what the stories had to do with our backsides. They were also excited when I asked them to teach me to read.

Before the schooling, however, I took to the streets to gauge the local attitude against chaos. There were some who listened to my earnest warnings, and even threw me money, which I presume was meant to pay for leaflets to distribute. Others were less welcoming of the message, shouting insults to my parentage and my height.

Ludovic and I decided to get dinner at a place called the Tilted Gate. Inside, we were told they had a splendid halfling bath and cider shipped every day from the Moot. I had to try the bath, and I made Ludovic try the cider. I have to admit they were both great.

Ludovic initiated some games of chance, in which we both won significant amounts of silver. Not being a gambler, I was both surprised and joyous...until we left.

On our way back to the temple we were accosted by two ruffians who had lost money to us at the Gate. Ludovic distracted them, and then attacked before they could pull weapons on us. I ducked into a shadow and leapt out dagger first.

My weak strikes we ineffective and the bawds were vicious, kicking me in the shin. I backed off to use the weapon my kind are known for: the sling. Two stones later and both ruffians fled with cracked bones. I wished to chase the attackers down and expose the markings of chaos I was certain existed below their jerkins. Ludovic, however, seeing my injured state, picked me up and carried me back to the temple. He seemed unconcerned with allowing our enemies to live. I can only rationalize thatunconcerned with allowing our enemies to live. I can only rationalize that he has never fought creatures like the ones of Sylvania for his very life.

In the morning, I explained our altercation to Udrin, who seemed unconcerned. Ludovic must be better protection than was evidenced in the prior night's fight. I checked my shin, looking for any sign of infection left by the mutant who kicked me. Thankfully I do not seem to have contracted his disease.

The elves discussed which direction they wished to go from here. It seemed like the conversation might continue for a while, so I asked the priestesses for that reading/writing lesson.

Note: The passage above has been heavily edited by temple priests at Stimmigan for spelling and grammar. All effort was maintained to keep the details of events as related by the halfling.

Also, when this illustrious party left town, the church of Verena did make inquiries into the identities of the men who attacked the human and the halfling. The men were easily found due to the nature and description of the injuries. The halfling's party has been gone for two weeks now, and neither man shows evidence of chaos mutations.

Popular posts from this blog

[D&D 5e] Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden 17

The Gathering Storm Complete Play Report