Sigmarzeit 7 - 8

When we were done introducing our new recruits to everyone, Lord Erik informed us that we would actually be spending the night in the town. I wasn’t sure what changed since we left, so I knew I’d have to keep and ear out.

Gunther decided that we needed to get off the boat and spend a night on dry land while we had the chance. I couldn’t have agreed more. I’m not sure Starlana really cared, though.

He took us to the town’s one inn, the Goblin’s Gizzard, and paid for rooms for each of us. We got settled in, and then Starlana and I headed downstairs while Gunther spent some time in prayer.

We came downstairs to the sound of our new recruits bragging loudly and generally acting boisterous. They invited us to sit down, so we joined them until our meal was ready and Gunther was ready to join us.

While we were waiting, Lord Erik came in with Alaric and his small retinue to get a room of his own. Henry was with him, but they were acting pretty closed-mouthed and secretive, though we weren’t even prying. I talked with Gunther and Starlana, and we decided to try to listen in on their in-room conversation.

I snuck up to Lord Erik’s door and Gunther kept watch near the stairs so no one would surprise me. All I heard was some boring talk about them being uncertain whether they had the strength of arms to take out this Lukrat fellow. Since they weren’t discussing anything we hadn’t heard before, we went out separate ways and my eavesdropping career was over.

Some time in the middle of the night, Gunther saw a ghost in his room. He didn’t tell me about it until morning, which is a little spooky. He told Starlana, and she spent the rest of the night with him. I wonder which one of us he’s really worried about protecting…

Gunther’s ghost told him he was wrongfully cheated out of payment for his services. Gunther, being the altruistic runt that he can be, told the ghost that he would make up for the wrong and see it righted. That’s how we spent the rest of our morning hanging out at the docks.

Gunther managed to spy someone that looked like the ghost’s description of one of the men that cheated him. Then, we started to follow him. Then he tried to take off on us, but Starlana and Gunther start calling out to him and making a deal to sell him some goods. This all happened to fast that all I could do was stare.

They agreed to meet this shady character later with their goods. All we had to do was get the boat to not leave without us. And get some goods to sell. Nothing too difficult for a couple of hired swords, right?

They told the ship captain, Darryl, and it turned out that Darryl knew this fellow, too. Not only that, but he had some kind of score to settle with the guy. He insisted on coming along with us. We found out that Darryl’s a pretty tough guy who also happens to be very handy with a hand gun.

We borrowed a horse and some chests, one even had some cloth in it that we could pretend was our goods. We headed down the road to our meeting spot, under a huge rock that overhung the road. I tried to head into the woods and scout the area out first, but I didn’t think of it until Hugo, the man we were meeting, saw us coming up the road. Instead, I tried to keep watch in the local surrounds and on top of the rock. It’s a good thing, too, because I did see movement up there.

Neither side trusted the other for some reason. We had to stop and take it slowly. Darryl took charge of the situation.

When Hugo looked into our chest with the cloth in it, people started shooting arrows at us from on top of the rock. That’s when things really got dangerous.

I ducked into the woods to try to sneak up the back side of the rock. From out on the road, I could hear Darryl shooting his gun.

Somehow, Starlana ended up beside me at the foot of the rock, and we slowly headed up together, making sure to stay behind trees and trying our hardest to be quiet. It didn’t work. Neither one of us are the sneaky type, I guess. The attackers from on top of the rock were barreling down the hill at us. I could barely get off a couple arrows before they were upon us.

Luckily, when they bore down on us, Gunther showed up to lend a hand with the fighting. I moved back and kept trying to shoot someone with my bow. Though I had some trouble shooting up the hill at men who wouldn’t hold still, I seemed to be more used to drawing it back. All the practice must have made it easier for me.

Between Gunther, Starlana, and the one time I actually ended up shooting someone, we were able to subdue the attackers from the top of the rock. Darryl had caved in Hugo’s head with a crowbar, but we did get one prisoner to take back to town. It happened to be Hugo’s accomplice.

Gunther returned the accomplice to the authorities, and then made his way to the ghost’s widow to tell her that her husband had been avenged. I tagged along, too. It’s the kind of stuff you hear about in minstrel’s tales, but you don’t normally get to experience.

We’re ready to get back on the barge and leave the small, but exciting little town on the river.

Popular posts from this blog

[D&D 5e] Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden 17

The Gathering Storm Complete Play Report