Old School: Rolling

I'd like to share a game theory with you: don't roll dice unless the DM asks you to.

I have dice. I want to roll my shiny dice. I want to tell stories of how the dice failed me at a critical time or how the dice came through for me when all hope seemed lost. However, keep in mind, with a roll, there is a chance of failure. If you can talk your DM into letting you do things without making you roll, there is no failure. Or he flat out tells you that you can’t do it.

There may be times the DM doesn’t think you need to roll. Just having the skill is enough to bring you success. Or the chance of failing is so low. Or you’re going to succeed eventually, so let’s not bog the game down.

If you roll, the DM suddenly has a sanctioned random chance he can hold against you.

Popular posts from this blog

[D&D 5e] Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden 17

The Gathering Storm Complete Play Report